Thursday, July 21, 2005

despite the doubt, go gourmet or between the bombs there's ice cream

Boulder Colorado, my new home. Dry, man is it dry. It's so arid sometimes I forget that I'm sucking tailpipes in hell (obscure reference to inner emotional landscape) and all I can think is DRY. Relief comes not so easily as drinking a fresh liter of Trinity water. Maybe some domo arigato water, now we're talking! Anyway, I haven't looked into the official demographics for Boulder but it seems a pretty homogeneous city. Meaning, I don't see any African, Latin or any other ethnic groups represented very much. Maybe I'm clueless and not that it really matters but homogeneity means safety somehow. I think its human nature to choose those like us. We're visual and social creatures and I don't care what you say everyone is wearing a cultural uniform. First of all let me just say that I will be the first to suggest that my views are skewed and I may be living in total delusional state and I've also only been here 10 days. So my point being that Boulder feels like some fairytale dreamland where everyone is happy and they all happily pick up their dog poop. It's a freakin' miracle. And all the dogs are friendly. Unlike those contingents in LA and Hawaii (two places I've lived) with their scary pit bulls, icons of the territorial thug life. People here, are into health, let me tell you! Exercise is the defacto religion and not in the vain hollywood sense. Its just pure clean fun and probably a bit of distraction from the howling abyss of their discontent (just kidding : ) And how does all this relate to homogeneity? Beats me, it just somehow came together in my mind in that way. Anyhoo, this is not a definitive post on the lay of the land in the fair city of Boulder or the cultural influence of homogeneity (sorry for using that word thrice). That will develop over time but right now I'm going to give you a recipe from this eveings dinner.

Fire Roasted Tomato and Salmon Bisque

6oz fresh alaskan salmon
16oz can Muir Glen fire roasted chopped tomatoes
1 medium onion diced
1 lime
fresh cilantro chopped
salt
pepper
2/3 cup organic 1/2 & 1/2
3T olive oil

Steam the salmon for about 7 minutes. This makes it easy to remove the skin which can then be fed to the cat. Flake the salmon with a fork, set aside. In a medium sauce pan, saute the diced onion in the oil until translucent. Add the tomatoes, salmon, salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool for 15 minnutes. Place in a blender or better yet use a hand blender and puree'. If you use a blender cooling is important and make sure you have a good grip on the top because hot liquids want to escape with force from blenders. Now add the 1/2 and 1/2 or cream and stir well. Reheat and simmer for 5 mins. Let cool slightly. Serve in bowls garnished with cilantro a little lime zest and the juice of a lime slice.

I served this bisque with fresh boutique italian bread with roasted garlic drizzled with olive oil and a organic baby greens salad with organic garlic aioli dressing which I bought ready made from Wild Oats. Quick and easy and oh so tasty.

r a n d o m

1 comment:

Bringer of Truth said...

Beware, RENTREZOR himself now walks the Earth!! The REPTILLIANS have hastened their agenda in anticipation of the FOEHAMMER!!