Thursday, September 15, 2005

the upper crust

I mentioned in an earlier post the homogeneous nature of Boulder, Co being a very white town and was wondering how that played into the niceness of the people? I work as a cashier at a central, big chain natural food store so I interact with a large cross section of the Boulder population. Like I said, mostly white, upper middle class. All the college kids are back and they've got plastic to swipe. In fact, I'd say 90% of the college age crowd pays with credit cards exclusively. Quite a few high school kids also pay with credit cards. One of my jaded views from many years ago is that morals are a luxury. It's easy to judge the looters in New Orleans from my comfortable couch with my french bread and olive tapanade. Its easy to judge "those people" whilst munching on New York Cheddar Cheese Kettle Chips and sippin' Australian wine. From this place I notice it's rich people who bring their own bags back to the grocery store. I went to a big name main stream chain grocery store on the outer fringe of Boulder to get some coffee filters and had them put in one of their cheap flimsy main stream grocery bags. I noticed that I felt like a street person carrying that bag. No one ever brings such a thing as that back into the upper scale natural food store I work in. I never had this feeling in LA but here in Boulder you're either part of the upper crust or you really stand out. It's better to have an old backpack than a cheap plastic bag. And of course if the backpack is old it means that you've been environmentally hip for a long time, duh! Even the street people here are rich! There is this old dirty guy that always hangs out on a adult tricycle, which seems pretty new by the way, with a dirty cardboard sign stating he's a veteran and needs help. I see him on the pedestrian mall talking on his cell phone! I don't even have a cell phone. Who's he calling? other cell phone toting mendicants about the best places to bum change? So what am I saying here? I'm saying Boulder, Co is the happiest place I've seen and I think this is the pinnacle of modern western civilization in terms of privledge. People here have embraced the best of the modern technological world and they have tons of free time to be environmental activists, or yogis, or triathletes, scientists, left wing super moral dilettante, in fact it's expected. It's your duty to be passionate about your slice of sweet reality. This is the place where everyone takes it for granted that life is good and from a quantum field of possibility outlook this is the karmic reward in this life as an experience, just an experience to be tasted, enjoyed, fully as the other end of the spectrum so that we can know that there is something more than this...

No comments: